We know that doing research and presenting can get expensive. We want to help further your education and get your research out there. To do that, we offer funding for travel, research, and select thesis, dissertation, and project costs.
Travel With Academic Duties ($400, or $500 if traveling internationally)
The GSO provides funding to help defray the cost of expenses directly related to thesis or dissertation research. This funding can also be used for:
- Expenses directly related to thesis or dissertation research.
- Project expenses incurred by those students in non-thesis degrees. Expenses must be related to a project that is a requirement for graduation. The term does not include research papers for courses (including independent study).
- Funding for interlibrary loan requests limited to information needed for classes in a particular discipline or thesis research.
Thesis, Dissertation, and Project Costs ($100)
The GSO considers applications for expenses directly related to printing a thesis or dissertation or producing a final project. These applications will not be considered until the second meeting of the semester, and only after all other applications for travel and research funding have been heard.
Travel to a Conference Without Duties ($100)
The GSO contributes funds to students traveling to conferences without duties. These applications are not considered until the second meeting of the semester, and only after all other applications for travel and research funding have been heard.
What The GSO Does NOT Fund
- Photocopying or duplicating costs unless deemed to be a research supply (i.e. you can't get GSO to pay for copying your dissertation)
- Basic supplies that should be provided by the Department (pens, pencils etc.)
- Any further funding during a given semester once the personal limit of $400 worth of appropriations have been reached during that semester ($500 in the case of International Travel).
Special Problems and Situations:
If driving a personal car or a rental car, you must provide a photocopy of your driver's license and proof of insurance for yourself and any other drivers.
Graduate students not enrolled during the summer semester are not eligible to receive funds at a summer meeting. These applications may be heard in the subsequent fall semester and treated as a regular fall application. All funds received in the fall, regardless of the semester (FA or SU) in which the receipts were generated, will count toward the student's Council Determined Funding Limit of $400 ($500 if international).
How do you get paid?
When you return from your trip, you must fill out a Check Request Form (which will be given to you with your returned GSO form). Submit this with receipts and a copy of your approved/signed GSO application (This will be mailed to you through intercampus mail) to the Dean of the Graduate School. They will mail a check to you through intercampus mail.
After you've bought supplies, fill out a Check Request Form and submit it with your receipts and your approved/signed GSO application to the Dean of the Graduate School.
A complete set of guidelines on funding can be found in the Constitution and Bylaws.